Long working hours. busy social lives, never-ending digital entertainment and bottomless-to-do-lists all conspire to rob us of valuable sleeping hours. Unfortunately this cocktail of sleep distractions has some serious repercussions not least of which begins on our waistline. The following list details some of the problems with poor sleep.
- Reduced recovery from tough workouts
- Increased susceptibility to injury
- Increased stress hormone production
- Increased sugar and hunger cravings
- Greater likelihood of overeating
- Reduced mental resistance to junk foods
- Decreased insulin sensitivity
- Less energy to move, be active and workout
- Irritable mood and energy crashes
Don't sell your workout and nutrition efforts short by neglecting this important element of the look good, feel good equation!