Down Dog is a yoga pose which provides a great stretch for the line of muscles that run down the back of your body, including your calves, hamstrings and back muscles.
- From the classic push up position, raise your hips high and push them backwards
- Make sure the fold in your body comes from your hips, not your lower back
- Your spine should remain in a long, neutral alignment
- Push down into the floor with your hands to lengthen the sides of your back
- Aim to work your heels down towards the floor (don’t worry if they don’t actually touch the floor, It is the intention to do so that counts)
- If you have very tight hamstrings bend your knees a little to help ease the movement
- Breathe and relax, each time you exhale try and drop a little deeper into the stretch