Long working hours. busy social lives, never-ending digital entertainment and bottomless to-do-lists all conspire to rob us of valuable sleeping time. Unfortunately this cocktail of sleep distractions has some serious repercussions which often begin on our waistline.
The following list details a few of the problems associated with poor sleep.
- Slower recovery from intense exercise
- Increased susceptibility to injury
- Increased stress hormone production
- Increased sugar and hunger cravings
- Reduced resistance to junk foods
- Greater likelihood of overeating
- Decreased insulin sensitivity
- Less desire to move, be active and exercise
- Irritable mood and energy crashes
- Blunted memory and sluggish brain power
Don't sell your workout and nutrition efforts short by neglecting this equally important element of the health and fitness equation.
Harness the power of good sleep!